lunes, 1 de noviembre de 2010

Happy Halloween!

1st ESO
Friday we had our Halloween Party at school. We have been talking about Halloween all week in classes and finally it was time to celebrate and have some fun! All of the students in the Bilingual section went to the audiovisual room, and we started the party by watching two Halloween episodes of the Simpsons. The Simpsons is a very popular show here, and is on TV every day, dubbed in Spanish of course. We watched the episodes in English, so the students had a hard time understanding what was being said. That's probably for the best because there were quite a few inappropriate topics!


Then it was time for the costume contest, the pumpkin cake contest and the jack-o-lantern contest. Only a couple of the younger students dressed up, because the Spanish don't actually celebrate Halloween. I asked a lot of students why they didn't dress up and they said because it wasn't really worth it to make or buy a costume just for school.

More students participated in the jack-o-lantern contest, and there were some really interesting submissions, and even some made from gourds and melons!


And then there was the pumpkin cake contest. I decided to make a pumpkin pie to give everyone a real taste of an American treat. It sounded like a great idea until I realized that it is impossible to find canned pumpkin here. I managed to find pumpkin that was already cleaned out in the grocery store, but had to boil, peel and mash it myself. It was quite the project!

The final product...
I was able to use the kitchen at school because I don't have my own at home, and the woman who runs the kitchen thought I was crazy for making such a strange food! It was a bit ambitious, seeing that the kitchen lacked a measuring cup and I was using ingredients that were slightly different than the ones I would find in an American grocery store. After 2 hours of baking I ended up with a pretty decent pie. The crust was questionable, but the rest was yummy!

1 comentario:

  1. Ha i like your pumpkin pie story. My roommates and i were trying to figure out how we could make pumpkin pie here in Mexico for thanksgiving and our best idea so far is ordering pumpkin filling off of amazon and having it shipped. Well maybe not amazon but you get the idea :)

    ResponderEliminar