domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010

Happy Turkey Day!

As you all know, last Thursday was Thanksgiving. This was my first year that I wasn't at home for Thanksgiving. Though I missed my family, we managed to have a really nice celebration here. All of the Americans organized a feast for us and some Spanish friends. It was complete with a 14 lb. turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, baked brie and pumpkin souffle. For dessert we had pumpkin and applie pie, apple and blueberry crumble, apples with a caramel dip, and of course yummy bars.

What is a yummy bar you ask? Well, if you have ever been to a gathering of my family for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other holiday, you will sure have eaten them before. If not, you are definitely missing out. Yummy bars are a chocolaty combination of cake, brownies and caramel and lots of butter. I knew that they were delicious, but I had no idea just how popular they would be in Spain. First I will say that it wasn't easy to find all of the ingredients here. There was only one brand of cake mix in Carrefour (similar to Walmart), and I could only find caramels in El Corte Ingles, and both were wildly expensive! Everyone at the dinner was blown away and begged me to give them the recipe. The Spanish guests told me that nothing like yummy bars exists in Spain, which is probably why they seemed so delicious!

In fact, none of the food at the dinner is easily found here. While us Americans/Canadians/English were so excited to have our traditional food, the Spaniards looked intimidated and nervous to try our strange recipes. By the end though, they were all happy to say that they had experienced their first Thanksgiving dinner. All in all, Thanksgiving was a success.

1 comentario: