domingo, 4 de septiembre de 2011

First post from Vigo!

What a wild week it has been! Starting last friday with the Hurricane warnings and having to make all new arrangements for getting to Spain. Mom and I eneded up driving into the hurricane to NJ to stay there without power for 3 days. Finally I was able to get a flight out Tuesday. I flew Newark to Lisbon, Lisbon to Porto, then took a bus to Vigo. I arrived Wednesday afternoon, ran over to my school to figure out what I had to do for my entrance exam on Thursday.

Everyone at my school it very friendly and helpful, but when it comes to getting real information about the course they are definitely lacking...I was under the impression that there was one test on Thursday at the school, based around art History. Turns out it's a two day test, in Santiago de Compostela, and includes history, math (physics and graphing), gallego (the official language of Galicia), and Spanish language. And, the directions were only in Gallego. I saw the test and just laughed because I figured there was no way I would pass. But, 6 hours later the test was over and it turns out that I passed (with the highest grade of the other 3 people that took it). I don't understand how that's possible, but at least I have a little more confidence for the last portion tomorrow, which actually is based on Art History and drawing.



Saturday was spent walking all corners of the city to look at apartments. I saw a total of 5 this week, and really didn't like any of them but one. I ended up selecting the apartment that overlooks the ocean and I have 2 boy roomates. I hadn't thought of living with boys, so we'll see how it goes!


After five days in Vigo I am finally starting to feel like this will be my new home. I'm sitting in my new apartment watching the sunset over the atlantic, which is beautiful. I moved my things into the apartment this morning, and then went to the beach this afternoon. Northern Spain is known for its beautiful white sand beaches, and I have to say I liked it better than the beaches in Southern Spain, where all of the beaches are pretty rocky. And, the beach is only about 10 minutes away on the bus.

 So, all in all it has been a week of lots of ups and downs. Half the time I'm so excited to see what the year will
bring, and the other half I think I'm
absolutely crazy and I should be back
in the States. But, I'm here, so check back to see where things take me! Ciao!





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario