jueves, 29 de septiembre de 2011

A taste of Galicia

So, I've been here for almost a month now, and I'm finally starting to feel like Vigo is my home. I have a job teaching English, have made some friends and have my first jewelry class on Monday. So far I have really enjoyed the way of life in Galicia, and I am looking forward to everything that is to come!

Last weekend I was lucky enough to have a true introduction to Galician culture. A new friend took me ou to lunch where I had my first taste of pulpo a la gallega (Galician style octopus) and pimientos verdes (grilled green peppers). To my suprise the flavor of the octopus was pretty good, they make it with olive oil and ground red pepper. It has a nice little kick to it! The texture is a little strange, but all in all not too bad.


Then we went to the beach where we spent the day surfing (very poorly) with some of her friends on the northern coast of Portugal, then we came back to Vigo to have a late dinner at a traditional Galician tavern. The people here really know how to eat and drink well! Wine is so superfluos that they brought us four bottles and served it in bowls instead of glasses! We ate tortilla de patatas, calmares, more pimientos verdes, and some sort of sausage. Que rico!! Dinner was followed by traditional Galician music and dancing. The music is very similar to the Celtic style-with bagpipes! Everyone played along using pairs of shells for percussion. We ended the night with the traditional drink of Galicia-Liquor cafe. It tastes like Kahlua, but is supposed to be a lot stronger!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario